AAPA 3rd Edition Grossing Guidelines Call for Authors
Work on the 3rd Edition of the AAPA Macroscopic Examination Guidelines: Utilization of the CAP Cancer Protocols at the Surgical Bench (Grossing Guidelines) is underway, and we have opportunities for new authors for a variety of protocols. Protocols are available in the Thorax, GI, Endocrine, GYN, and CNS sections.
Benefits to authors include:
- Disease site “expert status”
- Peer-reviewed publication; boost your CV
- Earned CE credits for authoring
The 3rd Edition of the Grossing Guidelines will have a new, streamlined format that is designed for ease of use at the gross bench and will be a valuable reference for the new graduate pathologists’ assistant as well as the experienced pathologists’ assistant, pathology resident, or pathologist.
The following is a summary of the modifications to the 3rd Edition Grossing Guidelines:
- Structured data elements utilizing the CAP Cancer Case Summary macroscopic elements
- Recommended block allocation key
- Specimen handling / dissection guidelines with illustrations or photographs demonstrating the handling steps to adequately process the specimen
- Educational / background information including incidence, epidemiology, morbidity / mortality, clinical presentation, imaging considerations, pertinent anatomy, macroscopic features of tumor, treatment / therapy guidelines, prognosis and prognostic features, and metastatic sites
The Grossing Guidelines also incorporate appendix sections in an organized format and include:
- TNM criteria tables
- Ancillary testing information
- Frozen section considerations
- Narrative macroscopic descriptions
The Grossing Guidelines are based on specified relevant source documents, drafted by pathologists’ assistant experts and supported by the information provided by the College of American Pathologists (CAP), American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC), and other peer-reviewed references.
These guidelines will continue to serve patients by ensuring that the macroscopic examination of cancer resection specimens is compliant with CAP Cancer Protocols, the AJCC Cancer Staging Manual, and provide optimization of the pre-analytic steps necessary to promote appropriate ancillary studies.
If you have an interest in writing a Grossing Guideline protocol, please contact Project Manager, Connie Thorpe, at email@example.com.